View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
hopeful4

Hello and Welcome.

I am so sorry for what brings you here, but am so glad you are here. You are not alone!

I would also like to make sure you have the number of the National Abuse Hotline which is 800-799-7233. I encourage you to call as there will be an advocate who can help you going forward and making plans. I also encourage the call to any local ones. Advocates work at these places who are wonderful, helpful, and completely confidential. They will not push you or require anything of you.

I would definitely have a small nest egg if possible, if not, that's ok too. Get copies of every single document and get the originals out of the house if possible. Take extra keys and an extra phone. Have bags packed for both of you just in case. Keep it in your trunk if need be. There is an app called Aspire, it's free, get it on your phone. It will let you put in emergency info, and immediately start recording in the background of your phone if need be, and he cannot see it.

Document EVERY SINGLE THING. Take photos. Speak to an attorney and get advise as they will be the most familiar with your local judges and know what to expect in your situation. They will usually consult for free, or the local shelters will also have people they can put you in touch with.

Above all else, take good care of you and your little one. You both deserve more than this. I know it's a scary process, but the more info you have, the more in control you will feel of your situation.

Many, many warm hugs.