View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
OpenTuning

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Thanks for the concerns and advice. I'll quit doing it. Btw, for those who didn't see it, I do like to refer to post #30.

The original idea came from CBT. I've had a lot of that and part of it is exposure therapy. Part of that is exposing yourself to the things that you fear. That is not done in a vacuum though, there's steps before and after it. And you do it in gradual steps to desensitize yourself to the stimulus.

That has worked really well for me for other problems, so I figured I could apply the same method to alcohol.

But given the responses, I'll quit doing it.
I loved EndGameNYC's response to this. At first I could almost see the logic to what you were doing, but it just felt wrong. And the reason, of course, is that CBT would make sense for someone who was afraid to drink alcohol, in order to learn to be comfortable around it enough to be able to drink it. Your goal is the exact opposite of that. For you, it's a good thing to be afraid of it. You don't want to become desensitised to it right now. The human fear response is designed to serve a very useful purpose. Keep people away from things that can harm them. I would suggest for now, if anything, you want to build up your fear of alcohol because of what it does to you, the serious harm it causes you, not work on being comfortable around it.