View Single Post
Old 03-03-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nowsthetime

Update - working my plan

Hello all:

I hope that you are all well in your respective corners of the world. Part of my plan is to stay involved here so here's and update.

I was just in a 5 day training for work I had to travel 3.5 hrs round trip every day. It was hard but doable. While at the training I say with a woman who came from very far, we had never met. When the class was over she told me that if I ever came to her city we should get together and have a drink... I just smiled and thanked her for the invitation but didn't say anything to her about not drinking...

It's probably not a big deal and I might not ever see her again, but it bothers me that I just wasn't able or just didn't reiterate that I'm sober. We spoke about it a bit at some point during the training and I had told her that I had quit drinking when my daughter was little, she said that she only drank a bit. Why would she invite me for a drink after I had told her I was sober. Do you guys think she just didn't understand me and what I meant by sober?

Im not bothered by what she said since I can't control what comes out of people's mouths but I'm upset at myself for not being more clear. I know I'm an alcoholic and I have told some people in my life who are close to me but in general I am afraid of the stigma and I really don't feel comfortable saying it to strangers...

Other than this everything is going well. My daughter has her birthday party this Sunday and I am very happy for her. We are having it at a place only for 2 hours so no booze involved. In the past when we have had her party in our house there has always been alcohol involved, not a lot but some for the normies.

The thing is that exactly 2 years ago I got sloshed at her birthday party (after she had gone to bed) and that was the beginning of my sobriety. It was actually a week after. I had sworn I would "control my drinking" but the week after I went out, got sloshed again and don't even remember the cab ride home. So SCARY!

My original sobriety date was 3/16 but I have moderated a few times in these 2 years (none on the 1st year but at 13 month and then a few times with months in between) so I have a new one even thought 3/16 will always hold a special place in my heart.

AV had been silent, but I know its tricks. Not getting me again. No way!