View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sleepbetteray

Question for the board

Hi all,

Is it possible to have a problem with alcohol and want to quit, but continue to smoke marijuana? I'll give you an example.

My wife for years was convinced I had an issue with alcohol. I denied it for a long time. Recently, I have agreed and have begun to take steps to quit. i.e., attending meetings, reading the Big Book, etc... I've also been reading Rational Recovery. The AVRT seems to fit with my worldview more than AA. But, I'm open to what ever works.

However, while I do feel alcohol obviously was an issue in my marriage as my wife has a problem with it. I would commit to not drinking, but I was unable to (at times). I was never an everyday drinker. But, I would drink Friday, Saturday nights and some Sundays. Then I might have 3 or 4 beers during a couple nights a week.

Marijuana has been something we have both enjoyed. We live in a state in the US where it is legal. I typically only smoke in the evenings when the kids are in bed. It's something my wife and I would do together.

She has recently gotten involved in Al Anon. What's she's read and heard is that I will be unsuccessful in quitting if I continue to smoke. So, now she has essentially said, we will not be able to be together unless I fully commit to stopping all substances, MJ included.

This is confusing for a number of reasons. 1) MJ wasn't a problem for her until she started learning more about AA. 2) I genuinely don't believe this is an issue for me.

What's the boards thoughts?

Last edited by Sleepbetteray; 03-01-2016 at 11:01 AM. Reason: edit