Thread: Recovery 2.0
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
FireSprite

HP - I caught half of Ann's talk this morning & it was very intriguing. I'll be looking more deeply into her work, thanks for pointing it out.

The Recovery in Youths talk was excellent too. I couldn't help (again) but to see a lot of crossover with what they discussed & a lot of Brene Brown's body of work. A lot of recurring components - shame, vulnerability, numbing.

Bring on Day #2! My first video pick today is:

Valerie Mason-John

A Survivor's Guide Home to the Breath

TEDx Speaker, Vimalasara (Valerie) Mason-John is the award winning author of 8 books including Eight Step Recovery Using - The Buddha's Teachings to Overcome Addiction, which won the best self motivational and self help book for USA and International Book Awards, and Detox Your Heart - Working with Anger, Fear and Hatred. She is also co founder of Healing & Insight, Buddhist Health and Wellness teaching faculty focussing on the sharp edge of suffering, on worldwideinsight.org, and the co-designer of Mindfulness Based Addiction Recovery MBAR course, delivering train the trainer, as well as delivering the course to clients. Motivational public speaker, trainer in leadership, working with conflict and challenging behaviour, she shares her personal journey of growing up in orphanages, on the streets, incarcerated aged 15, survivor of physical and sexual abuse, and addictions, as a testimony that things can change. Over 10 years ago she was awarded an honorary doctorate of Letters for her life time achievements. She is chairperson of Vancouver Buddhist Centre, and travels internationally, working with professionals and clients in the field of recovery and addiction.