Recovery 2.0

Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery 2.0

I'm sure FireSprite's original thread is around here somewhere, but I can't find it, so I'll start a new one. This event
Conference Home - Recovery 2.0 Conference
is starting tomorrow. It's free and it sure seems worthwhile.

Thought I'd start a thread to let anyone who may have missed the original posting have a chance to sign up and also for any discussion among members here who do listen to the talks.

I'm looking forward to this!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm very much looking forward to it this year! I love that these sessions mix up addict & codie recovery work.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This looks good! Thanks for posting!
Old 02-17-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, thanks for the link. Never heard of it, but signed up after reading. Cool!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is the one I'm most excited about today:

Recovery 2.0 Online Conference - Survive Addiction. Thrive in your life.

Dr. Joseph Lee

Recovering My Kid: Insights on Recovery for Young People

Joseph Lee, M.D., ABAM Medical Director, Hazelden Betty Ford Youth Continuum

Dr. Lee is Hazelden Betty Ford’s thought leader on matters related to youth, addiction, families, and mental health. A triple-boarded physician, he completed his Adult Psychiatry residency at Duke University Hospital and his fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry from Johns Hopkins Hospital. He is a fellow of the American Board of Addiction Medicine and is an ad hoc member of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry’s Substance Abuse Committee.

Dr. Lee’s experience with families from across the country and abroad provide him with an unparalleled perspective on emerging drug trends, co-occurring mental health conditions, and the ever-changing culture of addiction. Given his unique degree of specialization and powerful messaging, Dr. Lee has been featured in numerous media venues and national academic conferences alike. He is the author of Recovering My Kid: Parenting Young Adults in Treatment and Beyond, which provides an honest guide for parental leadership in times of crisis. In 2015, Dr. Lee was chosen for the “40 under 40” list by the Minneapolis/ St. Paul Business Journal for his contributions and leadership.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was just on there trying to decide which one(s) I will listen to--I think 2 is the most I can fit in, 3 if I stay up and catch another after work tonight...
Old 02-17-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

OK, just got thru w/Ann Boroch and "A Life Beyond the Ravages of Sugar." I started listening to the audiobook of "Grain Brain" last week and it seems that each author is following a similar, altho not identical, path. I've been reading/hearing for years about how ADHD people, autistic folks, etc., can all benefit from diet changes. Now I'm hearing that Alzheimer's and other neurological disorders (and even cancer, per Ms. Boroch) are directly linked to what we eat, and not necessarily in ways that we'd intuitively imagine.

Two thumbs up on this one! Off to my county library site to see if I can find any of her work, either in audiobook or old-fashioned style!

ETA: Two books of hers, one on healing MS that I don't need, thank god, and another about curing candida (she feels strongly that all of us have some degree of candida overgrowth and would benefit from getting rid of it). Also a website here
http://www.annboroch.com/
for her, if anyone else is interested in this topic.

I'm interested in her for 2 reasons: I am hypothyroid, which is often an autoimmune condition (not that anyone, in 12 years, has ever shown the slightest inclination to find out why, just prescribed thyroid hormone replacment). Also, I've read that alcoholism and sugar metabolism are often tied together, and XAH would be a sterling example of a sugar monster--even his liquor of choice was a sweet blackberry brandy. Ms. Boroch addresses both of these topics.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great!! I am intrigued by this one too & I hope I have time for it today. If not, I know they were available for replay for the duration of the seminar in past sessions so I'm banking on that still being available.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The way I'm reading it, I got the impression that each day's sessions were only available for 24 hours--I hope you're right, b/c I fear I'm going to miss a lot of great content if I don't have the ability to "power listen" on the weekend days!
Old 02-17-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Darnit, you're right! I guess it was wishful thinking.

Today's sessions expire at 6am PST tomorrow. Boo, hiss.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am blown away how this isn't promoted all over SR.
Am listening to just this bit "
Elena Brower
Yoga, Recovery and the Path to Wholeness"
and have been soothed and had a few "rah rah rah!" moments cause it's stuff that makes sense. Since they're just talking, Tommy and Elena, it's all recovery and tools. I haven't heard a snippet of yoga (thank ya Jesus!).
Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shining~Again View Post
....I am blown away how this isn't promoted all over SR....
Actually, we are always looking for good writers that can review and evaluate resources like this one. If you look on the right hand side of the forum pages there is a "Browse Featured Articles" section where the management lists articles that meet our guidelines.

If you have experience writing this kind of material send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the department that does this.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 02-18-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HP - I caught half of Ann's talk this morning & it was very intriguing. I'll be looking more deeply into her work, thanks for pointing it out.

The Recovery in Youths talk was excellent too. I couldn't help (again) but to see a lot of crossover with what they discussed & a lot of Brene Brown's body of work. A lot of recurring components - shame, vulnerability, numbing.

Bring on Day #2! My first video pick today is:

Valerie Mason-John

A Survivor's Guide Home to the Breath

TEDx Speaker, Vimalasara (Valerie) Mason-John is the award winning author of 8 books including Eight Step Recovery Using - The Buddha's Teachings to Overcome Addiction, which won the best self motivational and self help book for USA and International Book Awards, and Detox Your Heart - Working with Anger, Fear and Hatred. She is also co founder of Healing & Insight, Buddhist Health and Wellness teaching faculty focussing on the sharp edge of suffering, on worldwideinsight.org, and the co-designer of Mindfulness Based Addiction Recovery MBAR course, delivering train the trainer, as well as delivering the course to clients. Motivational public speaker, trainer in leadership, working with conflict and challenging behaviour, she shares her personal journey of growing up in orphanages, on the streets, incarcerated aged 15, survivor of physical and sexual abuse, and addictions, as a testimony that things can change. Over 10 years ago she was awarded an honorary doctorate of Letters for her life time achievements. She is chairperson of Vancouver Buddhist Centre, and travels internationally, working with professionals and clients in the field of recovery and addiction.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aargh, I want to hear everything today!! The one you mentioned might be my top pick too. I've been following Mark Sisson's site for years now, so altho I'd like to hear him speak, it's a lower priority b/c I'm already familiar w/what he's about.

Happy listening, fellow 2.0'ers!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OK, I got to hear Valerie Mason-John, definitely worthwhile.

Then I checked out Dr. Gabor Mate, and that was a good listen also. I found 2 of his books are in my county library system (In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction, and When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress). Both have a waiting list, which I signed up for, so I guess other people are interested too. He's got a website here When the Body Says No - Dr. Gabor Maté

I have to say, I laughed during this presentation when they were discussing "somatic therapy" such as yoga and meditation. Tommy Rosen said yoga works by "stretching the issues out of your tissues", and I found that pretty funny!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Did anyone else see the email about being able to purchase all of the conference videos as a package for $97? I'm really tempted to do this if I can figure out how to squeeze it into my budget. There's no way I'm going to be able to watch all of the videos I want every day while I'm working.

The $97 price is good until Feb 21 and you get all the speaker videos, MP3 audio files and complete transcripts as well. It says you can share them as gifts with anyone too.

Would anyone be interested in going in on this with me? As long as that doesn't violate some forum rules about solicitation or something. I don't want to cause any trouble!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah, I know what you mean about not being able to see all you want to see in the time we're allotted. I wish there was some reasonable price to pay to get unlimited access just during the time of the conference. I'd like to watch more than I'm going to be able to in the 24-hour window for each day's talks, but I don't think I want to actually buy them...
Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm about halfway through Valerie, good stuff!

I haven't really thought about buying them, it's not really in the budget right now.

I will say that these events happen 1-2 times per year & they always include a great line up of speakers across all sides & types of addiction & healing. It seems like they keep getting better & better but that may due to me advancing further in recovery too & being more willing to listen.

I register for them because it keeps me on their mailing lists - so I sometimes get a random video via email or other kinds of updates that are informative outside of conference videos.

Here's a link to one on Codependency that I got just before this session started, like a teaser of what's to come. It may be a replay of last year & so far it hasn't "expired":

This Week?s Recovery 2.0 Video ? Nikki Myers on Codependency - Tommy Rosen
Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

OK, I managed to squeeze in 2 speakers yesterday. Today can I do THREE?? Maybe I can get one in after I get home from work tonight....so much good stuff!

I also wanted to mention an online resource called Learn Out Loud. They have a TON of free audio as well as video content on a wide range of topics. Here's the link: Audio Books, Podcasts, Videos, and Free Downloads to Learn From

and one specifically to their "Best Free Audio and Video of All Time" page
http://www.learnoutloud.com/content/...of%20the%20Day
Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yay, we get one more day to catch up on what we missed here! Apparently they are leaving access to ALL speakers up until midnight PST.