View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
OpenTuning

Mia,

It's striking how that Addictive Voice can sit dormant for so long and then hit you like that. And a good warning to all of us that we need to stay on our guard. I was particular taken by the reason you just gave that you drank to show someone dying of alcoholism how dumb it is to drink. Presumably at the time that somehow made sense to you, but I hope looking at it now you can see how that was pure AV.

And the suggestion that you might keep drinking so your friends don't see you have an alcohol problem? Again, does that really make sense to you right now? There's dozens of things you could say that they wouldn't bat an eye to, especially as you met them while you were sober. Something as simple as "it's been a couple of years since I last drank, and I realise I just don't enjoy it any more, so I think I'll quit for good this time." I just tell people I got bored of it. Drank for 35 years, and figured it was time for a change. I've never used the "A" word with anyone, because I don't need to. It's none of their business why I don't want to drink any more.

As everyone is saying, you were sober for 2 years, so you can definitely do this. Just stop listening to your AV and all its frankly ridiculous excuses for why you should keep drinking. You know you need to stop, or you wouldn't be posting on here. So time to figure out your plan, make the changes you need to make to stop this happening again, and get back to enjoying the sober life that you know is so much better than what's lying ahead of you if you don't stop.