Old 02-11-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by saggirl1125 View Post
I know with certainty that if he finds out that it was me before he is completely stable, he will go off the deep end, relapse and most likely try to die.
I'm sorry, but even without knowing you or your relationship I respectfully disagree with this - you literally cannot KNOW this to be true. I know you think that you are taking his words & not inferring meaning but you're talking about the words of a person who isn't likely even aware of what he is saying all of the time. My RAH was horrified later to hear things he'd said during his active addiction days repeated back to him - and I'm not just talking about things he said while intoxicated. A lot of it was strictly for shock value & had zero to do with any actual thoughts or feelings. I spent a lot of time stressing over things he didn't remember saying or didn't mean, what a waste.

I will say that while I realize that the Bi-Polar diagnosis plays a part in all of this, every person I've spoken to that HAS that diagnosis says that while support is important, it is still up to THEM to manage the same as any other type of recovery or medical condition. A friend of mine has been struggling with this dynamic in her relationship for a long, long time because she is terribly unhappy & feels trapped into staying because SHE doesn't believe he's competent enough to take care of himself & that's not true - just the version of truth she chooses to see right now.