View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

Here's a little secret....

Sometimes, life as a human being means feeling low.

Yes, recovery can bring about some intense and volatile emotions. Yes, in many ways it gets better.

But recognize that for many years we 'coped' with feeling low by turning to alcohol and drugs.

An essential part of recovery, in my view, is learning new ways of responding to the normal emotions of life as a human. It gets better - but life doesn't just suddenly turn into sunshine and rainbows and happy dances all the time.

You're going to feel low sometimes.

And that's OK.

And learning to accept the feeling and choose how to respond in a healthy way is key. I find it helpful when Im feeling low to get out for a walk. To go meet with people or at least hit the gym where I can say hello to folks and have a small human connection. It doesnt 'fix' the feeling or make it go away, but it helps me keep going and it helps me with acceptance and it helps me navigate through the low to the other side without falling into a despairing cycle.

AA meetings are great for that. Many is the time Ive slogged off to a meeting when I really didnt feel like it. Mostly, it didn't cure me of the feeling - but it always gave me something. It was always better than just succumbing to the feeling and wallowing in it.

There is a big important difference between acceptance and wallowing.

Im glad youre here with us and sharing. That's a big help. But I hope you'll use this low time as a wonderful opportunity to begin re-training your brain with new and healthy responses to these feelings.