Old 02-10-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
mav
just keep swimming

So today was a good day. Work sucked (but what else is new?) but I had the first of my nights out with friends and anticipated having to 'fess up. So when they all ordered beer and I just ordered sparkling water... Well, there was a funny look or two. Then a "are you still off?" And a "I thought dry January ended..." But apart from that not much else. So I wasn't forced to say anything, so I didn't!

(And I had full smug mode engaged thinking about how they're going to feel tomorrow after quite a few pints of strong lager, whilst I drove home with a clear conscience!) funny thing is I had a great night, without alcohol, in fact, I think i had a better night than if I had have been drinking! Never saw that coming!

A slightly odd thing happened earlier though. Bumped into an old friend in town. She was a friend but then became my best friend's gf for 4 years or so so we used to hang out a lot. After a bit of catch-up she said I was looking really well... What was going on? So I told her straight up that I'd stopped drinking. "Completely?" She asked. "Yep." This big smile came on her face and she said how great it was. Fast forward and I mentioned to my wife about her reaction. It transpires that she'd mentioned in the past how worried they were about me and the drinking. My mate has always given me grief over it but to hear a different side of it, especially one that dates back to at least 6 years ago, was... Odd. Gave me a little extra perspective.

Annnnnyway, hope everyone had / is having a great day. Now need to prepare for tomorrow's big boozy black tie shindig. I've already set the scene that I'm driving but will expect some questioning.

Hugs