View Single Post
Old 07-07-2005, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Lbad
X IV

Hi BeRad,
I am a clean and sober 2 1/2 years from all illicit drugs and alcohol. I used methadone and a 12 step program to get there. I detoxed myself off methadone 6 weeks ago. I am grateful for my methadone treatment. It helped save my life. It gave me a chance to be right acting long enough to start right thinking. The bad news is that even with 2 1/2 years of daily recovery in a twelve step program, and a strong support system in place, coming off methadone was easily the hardest thing I have ever done. It was the most difficult emotional, physical and spiritual journey to date. At times I thought it would be easier to be dead. Today I feel pretty good.
I am also a recovering heroin addict/alcoholic/ whatever I could get in a needle etc etc. I am 36.
I don't want to give my opinion on what you should do. I think it sounds like you have a strong support system in place around you. My hope for you is that you use all of your support systems. Continue to ask for help and trust in the people who really have your best interest at heart. I try to remember that in times of indecision I need to pray to a Higher Power and then sit still until I feel a directed path.
Lots of Love and Well Wishes,
L