Is Methadone for me?

Old 07-05-2005, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Good talk, Russ.

Is Methadone for me?

Mark & Fellow Junkies:

I am trying to decide if I should start a Methadone program.
I quit shooting opiads and opiates a month and a half ago (mainly dilodid). I quit cold turkey. I had been addicted for about a year. After a near-death night of shooting fentynol, I immediately entered myself into an intensive outpatient program, and recently completed it. I still go to meetings. I declined Methadone when I started the outpatient program.
Recently, the cravings have made me feel junk sick again. The days are very hard, but I am still clean and sober. I know that the road ahead of me is not going to always be easy.
I have conflicting opinions about Methadone maintenance programs and would like to hear some opinions from experienced ex-users and from Mark. Do you think that I might want to start taking Methadone at my clinic?

I will also be asking my counselor, but would appreciate any input.

Thanks, Mark. And thank your everyone for contributing to this life saving website. BeRad
Old 07-05-2005, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

BeRad,
If you've already been clean for a month and a half, why would you want to get back on an opioid, which is what methadone is? You may want to look into naltrexone which is an opioid blocker and helps with cravings. I used to use pharmaceutical opioids myself and I am also a pharmacist and I can tell you that you do NOT want to have to come off methadone.

I now take naltrexone and have an NA Program and I have been clean for a little over 2 & 1/2 years. My cravings have been minimal. Why don't you ask about the naltrexone at your clinic? And feel free to PM me if you like. Best wishes in your recovery!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Hey BeRad,

I am not on Methadone, but I am on Suboxone, I had quit opiates on 4/6/05, I was hurting and going through the norm for having quit, the lethargy, not being able to get up off the couch, crabby, just plain hating life, most of the time, and I began the suboxone, 1 month after haing stopped the opiates. Well, I can tell you that the suboxone saved me from alot of sickness, as well as alot of other symptoms of withdrawl. It really has helped me alot,

BUT

Although I am grateful for not having went back out, to relieve the withdrawl I was still feeling, because I may have, I have a huge history of relapse in the first 3 months, due to just not being able to dal with all the symptoms, I would always give in, and relapse, BUT now I am here on Suboxone, very conflicted about having started it in the first place... I was like you, only you already have a month and a half in? It is not up to me to tell you, because sub. is better htan going back out to your DOC, but I still must now go through the withdrawl only this time it will be Suboxone I am withdrawling from, and I am afraid. I also hear Methadone is worse, not much, but a bit. Also with suboxone, I don't have to go to a clinic everyday to get a dose, Suboxone is something you take home. Although you do have requirements that go along with it. All doctors seem to have different requirements.
Eddie gave you soem pretty good advice, I don't believe you go through withdrawls using the Naltrexone... So that may be a very good option. I hear that the Naltrexone has really helped people, but you must be confident in not using your DOC, as you must also be confident if you choose the methadone, or suboxone. But no withdrawls in the end to worry about.
I am just elling you from my experience, I should have checked nto the Naltrexone, I knew very little about it, and just wanted something to help me feel better, so I jumped in and got on Sub. A much wiser choice for me may very well have been the Naltrexone. But I can't re-do it now. I may go on Naltrexone anyway after the Suboxone. I think all the time, about stopping the Suboxone.

Please think through, very well your choices, and all it takes to go to a clinic everyday, and get the methadone. My understanding is you are slowly brought "up" until you hit maintenence, and you can feel sick, while being brought up. I also just feel with the Methadone, you are a slave to it, and the people that dispense it, kind of just like a person is a slave to their DOC, maybe a bit different, but there are definately similarities....

Please let us know what you decide to do. I don't regret that I am on Suboxone, BUT I DO regret that I jumped in to fast, without having checked all of my options, such as the Naltrexone..

Sorry this is so long.. Love, Becky
Old 07-07-2005, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
X IV

Hi BeRad,
I am a clean and sober 2 1/2 years from all illicit drugs and alcohol. I used methadone and a 12 step program to get there. I detoxed myself off methadone 6 weeks ago. I am grateful for my methadone treatment. It helped save my life. It gave me a chance to be right acting long enough to start right thinking. The bad news is that even with 2 1/2 years of daily recovery in a twelve step program, and a strong support system in place, coming off methadone was easily the hardest thing I have ever done. It was the most difficult emotional, physical and spiritual journey to date. At times I thought it would be easier to be dead. Today I feel pretty good.
I am also a recovering heroin addict/alcoholic/ whatever I could get in a needle etc etc. I am 36.
I don't want to give my opinion on what you should do. I think it sounds like you have a strong support system in place around you. My hope for you is that you use all of your support systems. Continue to ask for help and trust in the people who really have your best interest at heart. I try to remember that in times of indecision I need to pray to a Higher Power and then sit still until I feel a directed path.
Lots of Love and Well Wishes,
L
Old 07-07-2005, 01:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Good talk, Russ.

Good input everyone. Eddie: I will ask about Naltrexone. Angel: Good point about considering the hassle of going to the clinic every day. Ibadeker: It's good to hear that I am not the only one that enjoys sitting in silence at times to try to find "the way". Thank you everyone.
I hope to still hear from Mark. I also will be asking my counselor at my meeting tonight for his input.

Still clean and sober. Brad
Old 07-07-2005, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

You're welcome, B-rad! Let us know how it goes tonight, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-08-2005, 05:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
X IV

I am glad our imput helped. Like Eddie said let us know how it's going.
Lots of Love,
L
Old 07-09-2005, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Good talk, Russ.

I feel much better. I have been keeping my mind off of the bad thoughts, which has 99% helped (as I'm sure you would guess). I talked to my counselor who also brought up the reality of coming in every morning, standing in line with the "others", walking through the parking lot full of illegal methadone sales, and how all of that is not going to do anything good for my self-confidence. He also pointed out (again, just as you three did) that I am merely trading one addiction for the next, and one dealer for another. He ALSO told me that although they ween you off eventually, you are bound to go through some withdraws (feel like crap, miss work, confined to bedroom, etc.).
So, in conclusion, right now I am keeping my mind off of it (ok, maybe not right now). I know that my brain has been reverting to its trickery of telling me to get high. I am going to have to conciously deny it and press on. I am only 2 months in... I have a long time until my body/mind are back to "normal".

Thanks. BeRad
Old 07-09-2005, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

((((Brad)))),
You're doing great! Are you doing any kind of support group meetings, though? I go to NA and I find that has really helped me alot to stay clean. I highly recommend it. Hang in there! It's already getting better.

Love and hugs,
Eddie