Thread: Puzzled
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jbm125
Jack

Relapse

Hi NOGARD, a relapse dosen't start when we pick up that 1st drink. For most of us it starts long before. We're in a program of change. When we change people places and things that'a start. When we change our attitudes and behaviors that's a big step toward sobriety. If someone close to you sees you slipping into old behaviors, attitudes etc. that's big red flag that something is going wrong and if continued will probably lead to that 1st drink.
Sounds like you have a good friend to point some of this stuff to you. Do a sincere 10th step and see what you think. Are you acting the way you did before you got clean and sober? Is your Higher Power still in your life and are you practising your principles in all your affairs. Not keeeping commitments, isolating, other small things(to you) just might be the 1st steps toward that slippery slope. In your heart go back to when you were completely sober with no or little compulsion, when you felt spiritually fit, when no one was commenting on your flaws but complimenting you on your progress. We strive for progress not perfection. Could be you're just getting a little lazy and God knows I've been there. Not making meetings, not praying the way I once did and should have been, not keeping in touch with my sponsor....led me to relapse. I'm human. Sobriety is something I have to work at every day and try to live in all my affairs. I hope when you read this you're able to say to yourself that you're OK. My prayers are with you. God bless.
Jack