Old 01-25-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jaynie04

Hi Dad and welcome. In a similar manner to LBrain I came to the conclusion over 2 and 1/2 years ago that drinking was no longer going to be part of my life.

I realized I could have have the life I wanted OR I could drink, for me they are mutually exclusive. I continue to operate under the assumption that I "don't" drink (and never will) instead of I "can't" drink.

It was like starting my life over again at 48 because my life had gradually accommodated my drinking before all else. When I removed it there was a big hole but I have taken my time rebuilding my life. I was protective of myself the first year, only accepting invitations that I felt were in harmony with my sobriety.

Now, my social life is as active as it has ever been. In fact it is more active than when I was drinking because I can go out and not lay in bed the next day.

I have found that a simple "I quit drinking" sounds decisive and empowered when I am around alcohol. In today's fitness mad world I have found only admiration for that choice. My identity as a nondrinker feels solid, I don't take it for granted, however, I am cognizant daily that it was the best decision of my life.