View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JohnQPublic

Dear Martin, those are some really good questions. I also want you to know there is no correct answer for anyone. I have had patients, who like me, told people straight out. I am an alcoholic. It keeps me accountable, people know I am not supposed to drink. Also, I have found a universal support from normal users. Other addicts/alcoholics who are still using tend to resent your ambition to be sober as they internally know its something they should do but are not ready. Another option that works well for lots of people is to say you don't drink for medical reasons. Which has the added benefit for being true. You can say you are on a medication that you shouldn't drink on or a medical condition. Personally, I prefer the straightforward truth as being duplicitous was part of my addictive behavior. But I understand that is not an option for all people. Also, you said you were doing this alone, you are not alone, you have us. Meetings are great lifesavers for some but are not for everyone. Let this site be your support program. I want to tell you that I tried to do it alone despite years of being an addiction therapist and helping hundreds of patients and I absolutely could not do without help. Of course maybe you are different but at least involve your loved ones and keep coming back here. In any light, I wish you the best and hope you find a way that works for you. Sending you Hope. John