View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Martin1883

New to forum - Day 10

Thought I'd chime in and say Hey!

Thank goodness it's morning. I made it another day and today marks my 10th day. I quit drinking on 1/2/16 around 11:30pm.

On that last day of drinking, I had consumed nearly an entire 750ml bottle of Vodka (by myself). I wasn't a social drinker either and rarely went to a bar. I have been thinking for a year or so .. It was getting out of hand!

So I decided to quit! It felt empowering, that first morning, in a way, when I poured the remaining drop of alcohol into the sink. Then proceeded to go around the house and clean up other bottles (mostly empty bottles hidden in draws and closets).

OK.. so I made it through the first few days with a cold and stomach problems. Nothing terrible. Spent much of the time in bed watching movies which seemed to pass the time (in a good way). I just told everyone I had the "flu" and needed rest. Keeping me away from the area of the house that I would normally be drinking in.

So the positives are I am feeling better. My brain feels alive! Feeling not so down on myself (ashamed) for being a slave to the stuff. Also feeling better that I do not have to take inventory (of what I have in the house to drink and what I need to buy everyday). Not to mention saving the money.

There was a close call on Sunday (day 8). I was making dinner for the family and looked in cupboard for a mixer. There was a bottle of flavored vodka (my wife had for a Holiday drink recipe). I grabbed it and a Coke out of the fridge. Poured about 2 inches into a short glass and the rest with the Cola. The glass sat on the counter for less than a minute. Before I poured it down the drain. This seemed to be a huge victory and I think about that everyday.

** I have on question that I need advice on for now..... I am going to do this alone. I am not into groups or anything like that (for now). So far I haven't told anyone yet.. My fear is telling people and then relapsing.

Or having to explain things. Like at a business meeting after hours and everyone orders drink. Then I order Soda. So when and how does "one" talk about it? Do you broadcast it to everyone? Or what?

Glad I found this site. Thank you for listening.