View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 03:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sunflowerlife

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Kind of stinks that your husband is drinking in front of you - especially at lunch and now finishing off a sixer on a Monday night. Yeah yeah, the game, I know. No excuse.

There's a line I draw in my house. No alcohol allowed. Sorry, but it's crucial to my recovery. None of my visitors mind one bit, and if they need to drink there are plenty of bars and pubs in town.

Keeping your sobriety intact with someone next to you on the couch drinking is next to impossible. I'm sorry but it's absolutely - in my opinion - the worst possible situation. If you are going to get sober for yourself, and you want to change your life, I think you are going to have to set some ground rules ASAP. You might want to establish some boundaries pronto.
Well, it was his birthday. I know, normal drinkers probably don't have to drink on their birthdays. But Monday is also his day off so yeah, he usually drinks and never only has one at a restaurant.

I appreciate the concern and the input- I made a thread about it last week asking if I should tell him I am not drinking anymore or just keep quiet. The thing is, I have been telling him for the last year that I "want to stop, am going to stop, can't drink anymore". And I never keep my word. So if I were to say it again, it would be meaningless (like crying wolf, I suppose.)

I have also asked him in the past not to drink when I was quitting. Sometimes he would be okay with it and other times it pissed him off and he found I was "trying to control his life."

Like others explained to me, this is my problem, not his (although I feel he has a problem as well but that is for him to discover on his own).

And honestly, I was worried about how it was going to affect me but after last night I realize it only makes me stronger. I see myself in him when he drinks and it is a huge turn off. If I see that the cravings increase or that this feeling changes, I will definitely speak up. Thanks for the reminder that support is crucial during this time