View Single Post
Old 01-10-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
gleefan

(((BoozeFree))) - I'm so sorry you're feeling hurt. I was party to laying someone off Friday. I posted up thread about how the situation made me feel like drinking. Also I'm struggling with some social stuff too!! I posted about it on the friends and family page. I'm not sure how to link to it, but it may help you to read the advice that others shared with me.

In any event Saskia makes a really good point about people's limitations, and about having realistic expectations of others. Saskia, thank you. I needed to hear your advice and wisdom, too!!

From the Big Book:

"My serenity is inversely proportional to my expectations. The higher my expectations of other people are, the lower is my serenity. I can watch my serenity level rise when I discard my expectations. But then my 'rights' try to move in, and they, too, can force my serenity level down. I have to discard my 'rights,' as well as my expectations, by asking myself, How important is it, really? How important is it compared to my serenity, my emotional sobriety'? And when I place more value on my serenity and sobriety than on anything else, I can maintain them at a higher level - at least for the time being."
Alcoholics Anonymous,
p. 452

First of all BF, thank you. By posting your struggles, you helped me sort out some issues that I'm going through. As different as our lives may be, we alcoholics are awfully similar to each other.

We are here too to support and encourage you. Don't underestimate the support that alcoholics in recovery can "virtually" provide to each other!

If you want F2F support I highly recommend you head to a meeting - one that the sober person who you're frustrated with isn't attending - and share with the group in general terms that you're struggling with trust issues and it's making you want to drink. Most people can relate, and will offer a soft place for you to just be while you ride out these cravings.

Thanks everyone. Keeping this page active keeps me farther from a drink!