Thread: Meeting People
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ALinNS

I didn't date for 7 years after my divorce, I think one of the main reasons was hurt as I didn't see it coming and it had nothing to do with my drinking, I became a single parent overnight with a very demanding job, to this day I find it very odd I did not drink, there was just something inside me that said no for the first maybe two years.

A close female friend talked me into joining a dating site and yes I did meet someone, head over heels in love but OMG she drank heavy every night, when I noticed she was missing work due to drinking the night before we had a serious conversation, she did go through a program that I had, 28 days in patient, but went back at it. I somehow stayed sober while with her but relapsed very shortly after we broke up. You see once again in hindsight I had what is called a mental relapse, simply meaning my AV was planning the next binge and I did not see it coming.

I consider my GF I met in July of last year a gift and I am deeper in love than I ever have been, it's a bonus she doesn't drink (no specific reason, just doesn't like it) and it's a bonus to me she has a Dr.'s degree and works in mental illness, that is not why we are in love they just came with the most amazing lady I have ever met.

So yes it's possible and when you put on those sites, I know from experience, you do not drink, in my case it was impossible to meet someone so I changed it to social drinker knowing I should not ever pick up a drink, today Andrew knows he can't ever pick up a drink.

I wish you luck in your search but yes it is very possible, I screwed up by not being honest up front, no not necessarily the first date but neither of the two ladies I have dated knew I had a problem until I relapsed.....I almost lost my current GF because of this as then people wonder what else you may be hiding. It's a fine line but no one is perfect, at least I haven't met anyone, but if you find someone and start dating, my opinion is we really need to tell them the truth, not all the war stories but they should at least be aware,,,,,saves everyone a lot of heart ache should a relapse happen. I spent five hours on New Years eve an overview of my life with alcohol and my plan to never drink again, thank god she gave me another chance.

All the best
Andrew