View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MelindaFlowers

By far the scariest yet most important step in my recovery was getting a full physical by a doctor. By the time I went, it was beyond putting "two drinks a day" on the form and lying my way through it. My alcoholism was apparent from my blood work and extremely high blood pressure. Funny enough, she didn't say a word about my red face.

My doctor visit took the whole "Am I? Am I not? Am I hurting myself?" BS from abstract to real, black and white, slap-in-the-face concrete realism.

I am older than you but I was only 31 when I was diagnosed with an inflamed liver and hypertension. For whatever reason I took a multivitamin and vitamin B supplement every morning so I think that helped me a bit.

Anyways, should you go to the doctor? Yes.

Sitting there is scary but you'll be glad you did. It brings the issues and worries to reality.

I used to laugh at that two drink a day limit set by health professionals. You know what though? They're onto something there. If you are drinking more than that then you are hurting your body.

I thought I was too young to have a very serious health diagnosis but I wasn't. I figured I'd be one of those people who'd stop in their forties or fifties but nope, I burned my candle too strong and too quick. I had consumed my lifetime's supply of booze by the age of 31.

This story has a happy ending. I've been sober for 18 months and I was just given a clean bill of health. I am never drinking alcohol again.