View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  
gleefan

Stargazer - We alcoholics ARE a lot alike! For years I resisted seeing my similarities to other alcoholics because I was married, a homeowner, had a job, friends, and a halfway decent reputation. One of the first lessons I learned was to focus on what I have in common with others struggling with addition, instead of what I thought made me different from them.

BoozeFree - It's great to hear that you're going to meetings. If you're feeling lonely, or stressed over family drama, or are isolating yourself in front of the TV, reaching out for support and/or offering to support others can help.

Amp - I'm glad you feel good about waking up sober in 2016, and all of the changes for the better that sobriety offers you! Last year I struggled with integrating myself into my family and friends' celebrations of the holidays and New Year. By the time the holidays rolled around I had enough sober time under my belt that I saw the benefits of sobriety, and knew I didn't want to turn back to drinking. I didn't feel all that comfortable in my sober skin, though, and I felt awkward and irritated at times. I didn't feel comfortable at parties, around people who were drinking, but I didn't have a community of people in my life who were non drinkers aside from AA or SR. That network of people saved my life - and continue to help me awaken to the amazing things life has to offer in sobriety.

In retrospect, I don't remember many of the little details of what happened during my last few years drinking - OR my first year sober! I think it goes to show that even though sobriety is physically and mentally good for you, it is stressful to learn how to be a sober person. I hope that my experience also shows that with time and practice, sober muscles grow, along with comfort in your sober skin. For example, last night I welcomed New Year with the same friends as last year. We even did the exact same thing as last year - ate good food, played games, and laughed our way into the New Year. Some folks drank. Last year I felt awkward and irritated, but this year I felt comfortable and like I belonged. At 22 months sober I feel light years better than I felt at 10 months, as promised by others who did it before me.

Happy New Year, Undies!!