View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Saskia

KIR, I find it helps me to make commitments still. Although I wasn't seriously tempted for more than 5 seconds this evening, I am glad I was mentally well-prepared. Dinner at the old folks' home was filled with booze. Spiked, homemade eggnog to start, prosecco to continue, alcohol-drenched homemade fruit cake, etc. etc. I took a quick deep breath and serenely declined all. I am relieved!

I'm also noticing that over 90 years old people tend not to have very good judgment even without dementia. A dear friend in that category was wobbling and speaking with very slurred speech. I walked her back to her apartment and was grateful to be sober. I've begun to notice that even non-alcoholics are at more risk as they get older - alcohol appears to affect the brain more as the body gets frailer.

I'm pleased that I had no physical cravings and didn't even think to take a pill that would have enabled me to relatively safely have a drink (it's still not good for my liver and is not a risk I want to take). It's simply so not worth it!

Oh yes - I did enjoy myself without alcohol!