View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Eunectes View Post
If this isn't my bottom
I'll share my experience with what I thought were bottoms...... they don't mean $HIT.

Amazingly, new and terrifying ways to hurt would roll into my life as I continued down the path I was on. Each one seemed to make the last one, the one that just had to be the last one, seem like no big deal.

Bottom, as it's commonly used, is NOT the events happening in your life, the things that hurt, the things that seem so stupendously stupid or damaging. Those things happen sure enough but unless your path changes, they are not bottoms. They're just sign-posts on your particular journey through hell.

Bottom, as I see it, is maked by two things and only two things. 1. a decision is made to change direction (to take new actions, to not repeat old actions, etc). 2. we begin taking (or not taking) those actions.

The neat thing is this - anyone can make that decision and begin changing their behavior at any point. It can come after a horrible event or not. It can come after just a little pain or it can come after near death experiences. It's entirely up to the individual.

I hoped and hoped that each disaster in my life would be the last......but all I did was hope....aka "wish." I didn't really make any decisions to change. Mostly what I chose was to keep doing exactly what I wanted to do, what I felt like doing, what felt good and what made sense BUT i also searched for a way to limit the pain. I also didn't make any lasting changes. I'd change something up for a couple days, maybe a week but nothing stuck - likely a byproduct of not really making that decision in #1 in the first place.

Bottom's a decision. Make that decision, or don't make that decision. It's entirely up to you......no need to hope.