View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Congratulations on 2 weeks.

I managed to last a month going alone and white-knuckling it. Then I realised I needed more support and started going to AA meetings. It made a big difference for me.

Cravings are just that. They can't hurt you. It's not a matter of 'fighting' them. It's a matter of 'acceptance'. Accept that they are there. Accept that they are uncomfortable. And remind yourself that they will pass. Try to remember to breathe while they're happening. Close your eyes and spend some time focussing in on your sensory experiences in that moment. What can you hear; smell; feel? Open your eyes and focus on what you can see (maybe even like a kids game - go through the alphabet and spot something beginning with A, with B, with C, etc.
This will help you get back in the moment and almost act like a mental 'restart' (if it works for that darn photocopier, it can work for me ).

Try to stay conscious of avoiding the HALT triggers. Hunger; Anger; Loneliness; and getting too Tired. Have you devised a sobriety plan yet? If not, now could be a good time to do that.

Keep going x