View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
gleefan

Hi Undies

WWS - Thanks for the exercise advice. I can be so all or nothing, and in a flare up, it leads to nothing.

Saskia - The docs have offered me immunosuppressant meds for my arthritis but I'm hesitant. Take good care of yourself. Xo

Toots - It's always a pleasure to read your clever posts. I thought of you while traversing through Boston last weekend. I bought myself a postcard of the library to commemorate our visit together last year!!

Dizzy - Great post. I agree that we save each other. I owe my sobriety to the lessons each and every one of us shares.

KIR - I related your comment about changing your priority from boozing to enjoying your son's events. I never notice those shifts while they're happening but see them when I look back. Keep up the good work, and more beauty and magic will happen.

BoozeFree - Good to see you putting a priority on your sobriety and recovery. Good luck studying for your exam; I've found sobriety and recovery have aided me in the progression of my career.

Sobriety helps in all aspects of my life in many different ways. Lately though I've been struggling with the issues at hockey -- being frozen out by the moms who I approached about their kids' behavior, and feeling concerned about where I stand with my friends in the group.

I was complaining to some sober friends this morning that ever since the tournament a couple weekends ago, I haven't heard one word from my friends. They were high on pot brownies when a bunch of stuff went down, so not of much support or camaraderie. Then the other night I saw one of them laughing and joking with the folks who are freezing me out.

My shackles went up. I found myself feeling on edge, wondering what rumors they're spreading about me, wondering whether my friends are going to stick by me, and feeling resentful that my friend was not showing solidarity by ignoring these folks. I found myself acting the way I've always acted when backed into this kind of a corner - gossipy, catty, and mean spirited. The next day it kind of spilled into work, where I found myself gossiping somewhat meanspiritedly with some coworkers. It didn't feel right.

Thank goodness for the "we" of recovery. When I reached out to my sober friends, they were quick to tell me they understood exactly what I was feeling. They offered comfort and advice, and I didn't feel so alone anymore.

My sponsor, who's been in AA for 15 years, talks about the instances where God does for her what she can't do for herself. Well, later today a friend in the program happened to reach out to me, and in the course of conversation shared a message that pertained exactly to the situation that's bothering me -- that we can practice love and tolerance for others, no matter what they do, and keeping our own side of the street clean. That's the foundation for happiness and serenity. It's just the guidance I need that I couldn't find on my own. I'm not religious, but I'm open to the messages the universe sends me through other people.

Thanks everyone for the lessons we share!!