View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
ubntubnt

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
How much did I drink?

Too much.

I don't mean that as a flippant answer. I'm as curious about everyone else's drinking as the next person, but I think it's extremely important that people know this isn't a contest. One person's "too much" may not be the next person's. There is always someone who drank more, lost more, did more dangerous/illegal/humiliating things than you've done.

The risk is that someone who feels they're not in control and is thinking of stopping might read tales of "I drank 2 gallons of vodka for breakfast, before I really got started each day" and feel they don't belong here. Clearly don't have a problem yet. And their AV will leap on that to get them drinking again.

Bottom line is that you have a problem with alcohol when you, and/or your friends and family, are worried that you have a problem.

Apologies if it sounds like I'm saying people shouldn't be answering the question. It's just that I've seen too many posts from people who have been convincing themselves they don't have a problem because they don't drink as much as "real alcoholics" do.
Definitely this thread comes with a health warning. Funny enough, that same thing happened with me in AA. I loved the support and the individuals with the group but I found myself thinking that I was not too bad after the daily diet I was being fed about how now much worse it had been for others. I honestly think that it gave me an out for my AV to exploit. I had to at least test the bottom or prove that I could get worse. All nonsense of course, but that is what happened.
For whatever reason, I look at it differently this thread. I am looking at the posts of how LITTLE some people drank yet it destroyed or almost destroyed their lives. Its a useful reminder that this is very personal and that what I may consider drinking within normal boundaries is terribly destructive to others.

What I, and I hope others have recognised in this thread, is that there is no magic number where normal becomes a problem. If you think your drinking is a problem then it probably is a problem. It also shows that I can't restart and drink at a safe level.....some people destructive threshold is below what I would have considered safe. Its just playing with fire. Better to just never drink again.