Thread: Friendship?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LiveInPeace

Originally Posted by FarToGo View Post
I met with my lovely friend today, we go back years and she's very important to me. These days we only get together a few times a year.
Strangely, during lunch she asked me to have a drink with her, I said "no I'm not drinking now", she proceeded to almost plead with me to have a drink............ very odd.
I've had friends like this and they are no longer people I chose to be friends with it. Ever have a friend who wants to sabotage your diet just because they want that large ice cream sundae? It's kinda like that. But worse. She was being EXTREMELY SELFISH and didn't give a sh*t about your well-being, wants, needs, feelings, etc. I'm getting angry just typing this!

I dealt with it and my final "no" must have sounded firm enough as she went with me as I changed the subject. Now I'm guessing all sorts of things, she's worried about her drinking? She likes me better as a drunk? Sober folk are threatening?
Too bad. Good for you for being firm. You should have been. Don't waste another second thinking about what is going on in her mind. Most likely, she doesn't want to look at her own drinking, or wants you to be the way she wants you to be.

We chatted and seemed to enjoy each other as much as ever, I hope so anyway.
Well then maybe there is still hope for a mutually respectful friendship. But you did absolutely nothing wrong.

Ah well a good flex of my sober muscles I guess.
Any thoughts?
Yes. Good for you for flexing your sober muscles. You keep doing that where necessary. Set boundaries. YOU come first. No people pleasing in sobriety.