View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
IWLSAST

Hey Undies,

Well, the weekend is soon upon us. What an amazing weekend it should be, too. It may hit 70 degrees tomorrow, so, I get to golf one more time prior to moving to FL with my peeps - Yeah!! Then on Sunday and Monday I get to hang out with my 11 month old granddaughter.

Yes, Glee...so many rewards in recovery!

Which leads me to a thought. Again, I can only offer MY experience, strength and hope.

What is AA to me. ...humm, is it f2f support? Yes, it has the capability to offer that if and when I might need it. In fact, on three occasions in the past 30 months I pulled out the Rolodex (haha, who even knows what this is?) of names and called on a member or two for strength and guidance in a challenging time.

Fact is, that just scratches the surface of what AA has given me. Many of those faces have become people that would go to any lengths for me, and visa-versa, for sure. However, it has been my exposure to their countless stories of hope, strength, courage and personal growth...physically, mentally and spiritually that has really grown my recovery.

It didn't add a layer to my recovery, it has offered a way of life that has had me change only one thing about myself - everything. I handle "almost" every new encounter in life through the eyes and teachings of those simple 12 steps.

FOR ME, drinking was but a symptom of some rather flawed thinking. I didn't have even a clue about that until assmosis from meeting exposure showed it to me.

I was given the tools to really learn about who I really am and to begin a long process of loving that person. They told me to keep coming back and they would love me until I learned to love myself. Today, I have the desire to project in humility, a thought totally foreign to my first many decades.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wanted to learn how to stop drinking and I have actually learned how to live in peace and serenity and often feel joy, happiness and freedom.

I must add that I have had no burning bush experience. I am not an AA hardliner/zealot. I believe that there are many paths to freedom from the obsession to drink. I am also not a converted religious fanatic. My higher power is simply a power greater than me...today I call it "The Universe." Tomorrow, it may change.

Some people can go to the gym and workout and get the results they desire and that is enough. I need crossfit, body-pump, yoga CLASSES. For me, being part of a team has made the desire to grow my sobriety and recovery so much easier that it ever was in the past.

Lastly, I am not pitching, just offering my own path which seems to be working for me. Bottom line, I hope you all find yours and it offers limitless possibilities and happiness without addiction getting in the way.

Let's enjoy another day free from mind altering substances.

Carlos

PS: Amp, thanks for the compliment...lol, you are too kind.