View Single Post
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Welcome to the Forum Sourbaby!!

"Functional" in my experience was not a destination, it was only a stage on the slippery slope, are we really saying that alcohol and substances are a long term solution to dealing with life? (the exception being properly prescribed medication)

I also used to look at my life and justify my drinking, because I hadn't any major disasters, but again recognising that I had crossed over from the wanting to the needing alcohol is a red flag.

You say when you've stopped, you're not happy, how long did you give it? as the first few months of any Sobriety can be rough, it takes time to build a life away from addiction, and that when we boil it all down is what it is, being addicted to something, regardless of whether we view it as "functioning" or not.

We have to make a decision about our own life, forget about what other people think or will say, they don't get to feel unhappy on your behalf, only you have to deal with that, and so give happiness a chance, what's the worst that could happen in Sobriety, you feel even more unhappy?

You'll find loads of support here to help out!!