View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
suncatcher

how can I help my best friend?

I usually post in the friends and family of alcoholics section and it was so helpful to me but now I have a different problem. My best friend who I've known for 38 years is struggling. Her son has been on heroin for at least 5 years if not more. When he's not shooting up he is snorting percocets. She is to the point where she is thinking about what she will do when he overdoses and dies from heroin. Watching her son be a slave to the drug is tearing her apart. She is having fleeting thoughts of harming herself also which is not like her at all. She's had so many stressors in the past few years. Losing both of her parents, a battle with cancer that she beat but her biggest stressor is her son being addicted to heroin. He's tried rehab but can't seem to stay away. I know it's an epidemic and it's hard to beat. I just don't know how to help her aside from being supportive. If there are any mom's out there that could offer any advice or anyone that can relate I would welcome any advice or thoughts. Any one who has beat heroin addiction also...how did you do it and is there a place that could help my friends son get off the stuff. I know he has to do the work himself. I know she has to detach but I'm afraid she is having a nervous breakdown. Thank you for reading. I've told my friend about SR too. I think she would find much needed support here.