View Single Post
Old 12-05-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Another thought:
In addition to "One Step at a Time", another important insight is to focus on what's going on right now, not on the past (which cannot be changed) nor on the future (which cannot be predicted). For alcoholics wishing to get into recovery the most important thing, perhaps the only thing, is "What should I be doing right now." For a good book on this see The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, Aug 19, 2004. by Eckhart Tolle. But be careful. The AV also likes "Now" and is saying stuff like "Don't worry about it now. One drink won't matter, and if you want you can call it 'one last drink' you can start your so called "sobriety" tomorrow." The answer to that AV is to "Buzz Off! Shut Up!" "Now" is also not the time to say, "Gee Wizz! How am I going to persuade my boy-girl friend into not leaving or how can I get him-her back? They're going to (or have taken) my kids away. How (when) can I get them back?" Or "I'm going to lose (or have lost) my job. How am I going to get another?" That's all for later. Not for "Now" where there's only one thing to focus on. How to avoid picking up a drink or drug. And how to keep avoiding that. And how to shut the AV in its cage and throw away the key. How to do that? Get support from other recovering alcoholics, professionals, counselors. Get lots of exercise, don't isolate, get out and do stuff which you like to do as long as it doesn't involve drinking, drugging, etc. Even try to help other recovering alcoholics (but don't use that as a way of ignoring your own situation, reinforcing denial).

W.