View Single Post
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
TryingInTexas

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Dallow--it's hard to know which came first...the depression or the alcohol! At least for me. I think depression. Anyway, I went to the doctor and started medicine and it hasn't helped yet, in fact I have been gaining a pound a day and that is really getting me depressed! I work out at least 5 days a week and have been trying really hard to eat clean, but now I'm in a funk and can't get the energy to do either. 24 days sober and I'm crying now! I think it's the medication so I will taper off and let the doctor know my reaction. I think I will try Patrciia's regimine. On the plus side....no alcohol cravings!!!
Such a challenge -- depression or alcohol, which comes first -- I still don't know.

I got on antidepressants a few years ago and it (a) made me feel tons better, and (b) helped me kick booze - twice. You are thinking "uh oh, he said twice."

I'm definitely glad I went on them. But a couple of things to beware of. Antidepressants mean you can drink a ton. Imagine alcohol, with all of the "upside" and good feelings, but no depressant effect. You don't get sleepy or tired. You can VERY EASILY drink to the point of blackout without realizing it.

Also, antidepressants work to peel back layers. You don't feel "depressed," but then you have new things to deal with. And those new things can make you want to drink. (And remember, when you do, you can easily overdo it.)

So antidepressants are miracle drugs. But they can be really dangerous if you have a tendency to drink. So go into it with your eyes open . . .