View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
thomas11

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
We all approach recovery a bit differently, Jeff, but for me, it involved a shift in perspective, a kind of mental shift. I came to the point of wanting to experience life differently, and I knew that to have a good life, a better life, I'd need to approach it soberly. There was no way I could both drink and live life happily and successfully, and achieve and do the things I wanted.

You seem like a motivated, driven type of person from what I've read of your posts. I don't think you really lack the motivation part. Maybe you lack the confidence or specific tools to carry it through.

Tools can be anything. It's whatever you employ to achieve the desired result, sobriety.

For me, like I said, it was that whole mental shift that happened internally that I used as the catalyst and the motivation to go through with it, to have the faith and confidence that I could indeed live my life as a sober, non-drinking person. And that I must live that way, because drinking was a dead-end street for me.

Giving up drinking will allow you to be so much more. At first it's a slog, but you will get through it. And you will be glad you did
There is an element of fear at play if I am being honest with myself. That mental shift you speak of has not occurred, also as Dee mentioned there is a part of me that I am fighting. The part that wants me to be like "normal" people. It might be a little part of me, but its a big hurdle to cross. Who doesn't want to be normal? I know I do. The advice and comments in this thread are why I am a member. I learn from it. Its clear I don't know everything there is to know, but I keep reading, and digesting information and advice to the best of my ability. I am somewhat proud that I have made measurable progress. I have ingested alcohol 3 times in roughly 187 days (one drink, one drink, three drinks) When I first joined, I was maybe 50% serious about changing my ways. I knew though, that I could not sustain a lifetime of drinking. And if I did, I would be miserable for the duration of my life. So, I read and learn and try to keep my knife sharp against the disease of alcoholism. I realize that I am not there yet, but I am a lot closer than I was 6 months ago.

If I turn the clock back 7-8 months, I was drinking every weekend, and usually 1-2 weekends a month I was drinking to the point of irresponsible stupidity. In hindsight, the injuries may have been the catalyst I needed, albeit a rather severe one.