View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

We all approach recovery a bit differently, Jeff, but for me, it involved a shift in perspective, a kind of mental shift. I came to the point of wanting to experience life differently, and I knew that to have a good life, a better life, I'd need to approach it soberly. There was no way I could both drink and live life happily and successfully, and achieve and do the things I wanted.

You seem like a motivated, driven type of person from what I've read of your posts. I don't think you really lack the motivation part. Maybe you lack the confidence or specific tools to carry it through.

Tools can be anything. It's whatever you employ to achieve the desired result, sobriety.

For me, like I said, it was that whole mental shift that happened internally that I used as the catalyst and the motivation to go through with it, to have the faith and confidence that I could indeed live my life as a sober, non-drinking person. And that I must live that way, because drinking was a dead-end street for me.

Giving up drinking will allow you to be so much more. At first it's a slog, but you will get through it. And you will be glad you did