View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
learntofly

Welcome Enfin and SilentCinemaFan! You'll find a ton of support here.

Odelle, I always have to remind myself that Facebook is not real life; everyone is putting on their best face. Imagine what it would be like if everyone's Facebook page was realistic. I'm sure we wouldn't feel so alone! Looking at my page, nobody would ever, ever guess that I'm an alcoholic with depression and anxiety and suicidal tendencies. They would probably think that I lead a perfect life. Facebook makes it look like we all live in Pleasantville.

Rah, good job standing your ground! It must be tough to have a spouse that's not fully supportive of your sobriety efforts. Hang in there!

SoberMarathon, glad that you're finally getting help. I read somewhere that a lot of alcoholics are extremely smart, creative, and driven. If we could put 100% of ourselves into healthy, creative things instead of alcohol, imagine what we could accomplish! On another note, I can't even imagine giving a seminar in front of hundreds of people. That would be terrifying for me! Kudos to you!

Healthy, great job on 13 days! Don't you love remembering things in the morning?

Onetimeless, saving your drinking money for something healthy is a great idea! I'm glad that your disrespectful roommate is leaving. One more roadblock removed on your journey to sobriety! Congrats on 22 days!

Pams, It's wonderful that your body is finally healing. I too get hung up on replaying my drunken antics in my mind over and over. Kiki is right in that we probably care 100% more than everybody else does! We need to start forgiving ourselves and focusing on moving forward with our lives. There's no reason to stay stuck in that cycle of shame and guilt.

Enfin, many of us have done things while drunk that we never would have considered when we were sober. Our drunk selves are not our real selves. The only thing you can do is take responsibility and put every effort into maintaining your sobriety. Things will get better!

Sunny, I love the 4-7-8 technique! It helps me fall asleep when my mind won't stop racing. Congratulations on Day 6! Focusing on trying to help others has been vital in my recovery too. I know that I was 100% self centered when I was drinking, because I really had no energy for anybody or anything else, so it's so good to get outside of myself and to try to make other people's lives better.

Blondsober, good job on Day 6! AV is a bastard. It will always try to get you in trouble!

Meshelly, congrats on Day 14! That's a huge milestone. =)

I just want to thank you guys for your posts and your stories. Knowing that you guys are there and that you're struggling with the same things as I am makes me feel so much less alone. Stay strong everybody! We've got this!