View Single Post
Old 11-23-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
A month later and I still need a new sponsor.

My sponsor is projecting her issues all over me. I spoke with her again last week and basically she kept telling me I was going through grief. I keep having resentments come up these last two weeks but I think it's related to some of the content of my last therapy session, nothing really to do with grief. I kept trying to pull the conversation to the topic of "letting things go" and meanwhile she kept trying to push the idea that I was thinking of resentments because I was trying to be "right" or because I was going through grief over the state of my marriage. She's going through a power struggle with her sibling and her alcoholic boyfriend passed away from cancer a few months ago, she's in grieving. I want to acknowledge my resentments, not stew on them. No experience, strength or hope on the manner.

I don't know why I bother talking to her, she doesn't hear me or see me as I am. I'm just a screen that she's projecting her own stuff on to. This is the "type" of person that I attract somehow. I use to think I was a very strong person and very sure of who I am but I'm beginning to think that I'm very meek because I cannot find the strength to end things with toxic people like this. Aside from just cowardly hiding from them, which happens to be very effective although totally unhealthy.
Stung-

I don't think you are weak.

I think you are getting a recovery "learning" piece just when you are ready for it.

The stuff about your hubby aside. This relationship with your sponsor is not working for you anymore. You see a pattern with this person that you have become aware of....and you are working on "doing" it different this time.

That to me looks and sounds like recovery. When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

That does not make it easy, but it always helps me when I see it as a part of changing my dysfunctional patterns for the better. It gives me a little permission to be messy and not get it perfect. She may be upset with it/you....but if you intend and try to say what you mean, and mean what you say and not say it mean it will work out......