Thread: wondering...
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NoMoBeer

For me, it's plan the work, work the plan, but don't expect the outcome. That's where I've always been disappointed. I've got to accept that outcome no matter what.

I have goals. No doubt. Here are a couple of examples of my life, and how I've found that the Higher Power connection helps me immensely...

1. I had a goal to be a sales manager in my company. I had set it to be completed this year. I know the hiring director very well. The exact job came up for application about a month ago. I applied. The day before the first panel interview, someone started a conversation with me which made me start to second guess this goal at this point in my career. My "gut-o-meter" was going off. I talked it through with friends and family, and withdrew from this position for now. I used to be so determined to get the goal that I wouldn't listen for God's voice! I would have gotten this job, too if I was determined to get it. Now, thanks to AA, I can stop, think and listen to the right way....

2. I registered for yet another triathlon next month. My overall goal is to finish. I'm pretty sure I can do that (never know though, bike crash, etc.). I do have some secondary time-based goals I have set. Again, used to be that if I didn't meet those goals, I would beat the hell out of myself OR better yet -- not even try! Now, I can go and race my hardest, hope for a great time, and accept whatever the race gives me...

SO, with all that babbling -- you can get back into life, but PLEASE remember that sobriety needs to be top priority -- OVER EVERYTHING! I have nothing in this world if I go and take that first drink...

Just my 2 cents...

Ken