View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
getright15

I mean I basically have been taking it one day at a time for sure, but some days are just freaking rough when life decides to have its way. it hasn't brought me to the brink of drinking though. I already know where that gets me...broke, jail, jobless, anxious, dry heaving, and the list goes on. With everything going on in the world today my problems are minor (ISIS, bombings, Paris..etc) but of course when you're the one going through things it feels like the world is on your shoulders.

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Yes, to the "Expectations lead to suffering" comment - a lot of the time we see what we expect to see. I heard a speaker describe his own pessimistic nature, saying that his hole in the fence was just below the cows tail. It made me giggle, but in an 'ouch' kind of way, knowing that I tended to only see the s**t myself in the past as well.

Being sober and facing problems is such a new thing to most of us in early recovery. No more hiding from problems under a fuzzy alcohol-blanket. For me, that's why meetings and step work and having my sponsor to talk to have been invaluable. Learning to be a grown-up would have been so much more painful without them. This is what the step-work does for us in AA. We keep ourself sober, and the program teaches us how to deal with life without alcohol. Of course, there are other things that can help with that as well - maybe it'd be worth seeking something out. The IOP work is just the start - if we want our recovery to continue it has to involve some seeking and doing.

Congratulations on your continuing sobriety. Over two months now - that's great