View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
QueSera81

9th step and no contact

I broke up with my alcoholic ex-boyfriend about 11 months ago. I went no contact and have stuck to that. I didn't hear from him for a long time after an initial flurry. In August he messaged me via Facebook all about how I would always be the only woman for him, etc. I ignored it and double checked that I had his phone number blocked (I did).

I have since found a happy, healthy relationship that is flourishing despite a little bit of a rocky start. Last Saturday I was at a wedding with my SO and we actually posted a photo to social media for the first time. Coincidentally (or not...) I received a text message from my ex-boyfriend (new phone number, but I could tell by the content) that said, "Part of my new way of living is to atone for what I've done wrong. I am truly sorry for anything that I did to hurt you. It never was my intention. I have found a new way of living and I hope and pray that maybe you can forgive me one day." Read it and realized it sounds like he's doing the steps (good for him). I promptly blocked the number. On first reading, I just realized I had no desire to answer. I have nothing to say. I don't know that I've forgiven him, but I harbor no ill will and I've moved past it - not in terms of being in a new relationship, but in recognizing what's unhealthy for me and looking out for myself. On second read, I realize that he's not actually apologizing for anything specific. It's not like he's sat down and thought about what he did wrong (cheating on me, screaming at me, telling me he was going to punch me in the face) but he just wrote some boilerplate language and sent it.

Am I wrong in not responding and not caring that he's reached out? I asked for no contact and I feel like he should respect that, no matter what his feelings about making amends are.

PS - I forgot to add that I learned so much on here and found so much strength. I felt so trapped in a really unhealthy situation and don't know how I would have found my way out without this website and the awesome people.