Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
keeppushing

KiKi,

One of my triggers was what my therapist called "low discomfort tolerance" or LDT for short. She differentiated it from anxiety in that anxiety is fear of the unknown (i.e. Something bad is going to happen, but I don't know exactly what). LDT on the other hand she explained was discomfort with certain situations, which for me included new social situations.

The way we attacked it was not with meds but with exposure work backed up by REBT work (you can Google it). What's coming next is an explanatory example, not advice.

So, let's say you have a fear of flying. Exposure work would first have you think about flying and then self soothe. You then do the REBT work. Repeat. Once you can think about it without feeling too much discomfort (you have to rate it), you do to the next step. This might be just packing your back. Next step might be driving to airport with packed bag and sitting in parking garage. Next step is get out of car and walk into airport. Etc. Of course, in this particular case, certain obvious later steps (sit in aircraft without it taking off) are not possible, but you get the idea.

I hope that my experience helps in some way.

KP