Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I'd suggest going to BOTH the meeting regularly for a while and getting to know some of the people there - you may well end up making some friends there who you can meet up with for coffee. (When they suggest trying another meeting, they don't mean INSTEAD of the other one - they mean as well as).

And I'd definitely stay away from the pressures of dating until I had some serious sobriety-confidence built up. Addicts do have a tendency to replace one form of instant gratification (eg. booze) with other forms of instant gratification (compulsive sex; gambling; compulsive shopping; overeating - all different forms of acting out). Please don't try to patch a problem with a person.

What hobbies do you have that could be openings for going to clubs of societies. Have you considered volunteering? (Even if only for one off things for a local group like marshalling at sports events or similar if you don't feel up to committing to anything more regular at the moment). Even if you don't expect to enjoy it, chances are you'll get more out of it than you would out of isolating or by revisiting slippery places and people and risking another relapse.

I really don't think Carl was trying to shame you (unfortunately with social media it can be very easy for things to be typed in a way that it then misinterpreted. I'm surprised it doesn't happen on here more often, especially when we consider just how many different countries; languages and cultures of people nestle together on this forum trying to help each other.) Anyway - I know that I definitely tried to keep some slippery old friends and slippery old haunts as places to go to have fun in sobriety (as have many of my AA friends in the first year or so). And it made recovery much more uncomfortable for me than I found I could be when I had (reluctantly) replaced some more of my old habits with new ones. But that did take time for me. And I certainly don't envy you doing it on your own abroad with no family or long-term friends to give some moral support and a hug now and then.

I do wondered what you mean by 'solving it once and for all'. I find that if I want to maintain a good quality sobriety I have to keep working on it daily. It takes maintenance. Just like building up to being a good runner - once someone gets there they still have to train just to maintain that level of fitness. There isn't any workout; exercise; or supplement they can take that will give them that level of fitness 'once and for all'.