Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TheRake

Originally Posted by loud430 View Post
After going 60 days without alcohol, my cravings got the best of me and I caved in this weekend. Luckily, it was without any damage aside from feeling exhausted. There was a music festival in my city than I love to go to and many nights were late for me. My goal here will be to Samurai some thoughts. Short and sweet. A draw is a blow.

Alcohol, and addiction, takes over every want and desire we crave. As we adult (Adult: [verb] to be become childlike and less fun), we begin losing that which makes us enjoy life. We then substitute alcohol, drugs, sex, ect to fill in those voids because they are easy, quick fixes. When we are in a position to act like a kid again, and have fun, we may stiffen up and feel negated to do so. To counter that feeling, we drink or do drugs. Our body is already equipped with the ability to enjoy life with plenty of hormones. We just have spent 0-20,4-,60 years telling our mind to shut them off and act like an adult.

"Act like an adult" We are told. It is an act. It isn't real. We have atrophied our natural ability to love life. I'm struggling with this myself, immensely. Which explains why my guard was let down and I drank this weekend.

So what can you and I do? It's hard, but find and pursue ways to be a kid again. Play.

Working out is tricky. Especially if you find yourself comparing and wish you were x,y,z. Working out at a gym can be isolating even while amongst many people. You are doing activities around people, but those are activities are generally done by yourself, and any partner ship is hard to find unless you are very friendly with someone already. You may literally interrupt someone's agenda by talking to them which can be frustrating. Ect.

On the flip side, for myself, jogging is super therapeutic. It is isolating in a good way to the point of meditation. At times, my brain is solving complex issues with my current life and other times, I forgot that I just ran 3 miles. Throughout the run, I graze past lakes, animals, art, other runners, ect.

If you can and it is financially available, possibly try a boxing, krav maga, martial arts gym that feels friendly and inviting. They are there to train and help you be your best, while staying fit, being a part of a team, and much easier place to make friends. Talk to the teachers and get to know them. (I'm learning this myself)

Find other ways to be apart of something. Community service like habitat for humanity will fill you with purpose as you literally build a home for someone less fortunate than yourself who may actually be going through something similar. It involves teamwork again. A purpose. Find that greater purpose.
I train in a martial art. The gym is fantastic. The atmosphere, the comaradity, the training itself. I missed the whole of last month with my flat move and a back injury......I went back last week. Three nights and one night in Toastmasters. I'm not returning to the danse classes until next year....

This is the thing: I've always had sports in my life....but I've always been a weekend binge drinker.....granted maybe I'm fooling myself saying always a weekend binge drinker......the last summers I've had binges that lasted....well all summer...

I remember at around 19 being in a job and I used to lift weights and do kick boxing, I was a healthy eater. Bruce Lee was an inspiration. Then we would go out after work on Fridays....the binging, the flirting, smoking during the weekend....I discovered damn I like this too....I feel like Jim Morrison. What I remember was saying to myself Jesus it's like I have two sides now.....Bruce Lee and Jim Morrison.......I have to make a choice

Jim Morrison allowed the abandoned child to come and play and go on a deathwish. It was almost like a fantasy state...

I don't think I've made that choice. I don't think I've separated the two.

See everything seems to be going fine, and then I go on these horrific benders and I end up missing work, missing gym.....missing life.....then spending the next few weeks or whatever trying to repare the damage

It's true I need to find people that are in align with the way I wish to live my life.

Maybe I shouldn't have abandoned this site four weeks ago.