View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
whatsgoingon

My journey is different this time

Hi Guys,

I've just passed two months sober and I feel great.

I posted a month ago saying that I had found my 'Why' and for me this is one of biggest positives that has helped me stay sober.

I've given up drinking before and my last attempt I managed 9 months. This time though it's different and I feel completely different to how I felt the last time I quit. Last time I tried to quit it was a real battle. I fought with my inner demons on a daily basis. I really resented not being able to drink. I missed going to the pub and having a pint with my mates. I constantly longed to have a glass of wine with my meal and I felt left out at social gatherings. I felt like I was depriving myself, almost punishing myself. I was not living, I was merely existing. In truth I was a dry drunk. I hated not be able to drink and for 9 months all I did was just avoid drinking situations and live like a hermit.

This time I feel fine about everything. I have accepted that drinking serves me no purpose at all. For me drinking stops me from achieving what I want in life. When I drink it demotivates me and kills all my momentum. Drinking also depresses me and makes me miserable. Everyday I literally wake up and thank the Lord that I no longer drink! Which is crazy because I'm not a religious person at all! But seriously that's how it feels, I suddenly for the first time in ages feel free. My whole attitude to drinking appears to have changed. I don't miss it anymore and now the thought of drinking makes me feel annoyed. One thing that has dawned on me how alcohol has been portrayed by the media and marketing companies as being normal and acceptable. This in my opinion just suits their agenda of selling more alcohol. When I tell people I have given drinking they look at me as if I'm weird but if I told them I'd given up smoking or drugs or fatty food people would think that was great. It's really odd how society just accepts booze when it's so unhealthy and causes so many illnesses and so much crime, pain and suffering. My friends were so pleased when I gave up cigarettes but how come they are not so pleased when I give up drinking? Makes no sense to me at all.

Anyway my friends enough ranting from me! I so happy and pleased to have reached the two month mark! For anyone out there who like me tried and failed on more than one occasion take heart in the fact you probably just were not ready and not accepted your sobriety. To really make this work I needed a 'why' and I found it. I want to be happy not depressed, I want to be motivated and energetic not lazy and self loathing. Right now I feel my life for the first time in about twenty years my life is back on track and I feel great! 😊