Notices

My journey is different this time

Old 11-10-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My journey is different this time

Hi Guys,

I've just passed two months sober and I feel great.

I posted a month ago saying that I had found my 'Why' and for me this is one of biggest positives that has helped me stay sober.

I've given up drinking before and my last attempt I managed 9 months. This time though it's different and I feel completely different to how I felt the last time I quit. Last time I tried to quit it was a real battle. I fought with my inner demons on a daily basis. I really resented not being able to drink. I missed going to the pub and having a pint with my mates. I constantly longed to have a glass of wine with my meal and I felt left out at social gatherings. I felt like I was depriving myself, almost punishing myself. I was not living, I was merely existing. In truth I was a dry drunk. I hated not be able to drink and for 9 months all I did was just avoid drinking situations and live like a hermit.

This time I feel fine about everything. I have accepted that drinking serves me no purpose at all. For me drinking stops me from achieving what I want in life. When I drink it demotivates me and kills all my momentum. Drinking also depresses me and makes me miserable. Everyday I literally wake up and thank the Lord that I no longer drink! Which is crazy because I'm not a religious person at all! But seriously that's how it feels, I suddenly for the first time in ages feel free. My whole attitude to drinking appears to have changed. I don't miss it anymore and now the thought of drinking makes me feel annoyed. One thing that has dawned on me how alcohol has been portrayed by the media and marketing companies as being normal and acceptable. This in my opinion just suits their agenda of selling more alcohol. When I tell people I have given drinking they look at me as if I'm weird but if I told them I'd given up smoking or drugs or fatty food people would think that was great. It's really odd how society just accepts booze when it's so unhealthy and causes so many illnesses and so much crime, pain and suffering. My friends were so pleased when I gave up cigarettes but how come they are not so pleased when I give up drinking? Makes no sense to me at all.

Anyway my friends enough ranting from me! I so happy and pleased to have reached the two month mark! For anyone out there who like me tried and failed on more than one occasion take heart in the fact you probably just were not ready and not accepted your sobriety. To really make this work I needed a 'why' and I found it. I want to be happy not depressed, I want to be motivated and energetic not lazy and self loathing. Right now I feel my life for the first time in about twenty years my life is back on track and I feel great! 😊
Old 11-10-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great! It sounds like you're making this work.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2 Months is fantastic!!
Old 11-10-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 2 months
Old 11-10-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two months. I enjoyed reading your message. Keep going!
Old 11-10-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two sober months, whatsgoingon.

Acceptance was key for me, too.

Really enjoyed your post.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thats brilliant, well done on 2 months!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post and congrats!
Old 11-10-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I loved reading that post, thank you for sharing it.

It may as well have been written about me.

Thank you and well done on two months.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks and congratulations! I know what you mean, I've never made it four months sober before , I think my record was three, and it was miserable. Now I feel free, and that I've made the best decision of my life 😀
Old 11-10-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Two months - that's wonderful, whatsgoing. You sound determined & ready for this beig change in your life.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post. I have heard people at AA saying similar things..Here's hoping I and many others that are still struggling have that light bulb moment where sobriety really works.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all the messages! I forgot to mention another reason why I'm doing better this time, it's the friendship and commaradarie I get from places like this, makes it all worthwhile!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is awesome wgo...