View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Hi Sheila
Hopefully when you talked with your dr. she gave you a script to help with the withdrawal. If not don't hesitate to talk with her again and get some assistance.

Yes I use mindfulness pretty much constantly. I have been quitting for 12 years and have made it up to two years....couple of 14 months....lots of six months I have tried many different approaches. The concept of staying in the moment is the only thing that works for me....I think. Not just to ride out urges (that is when I actually incorporate the meditation and deep breathing) but to handle the feelings of guilt and toxic shame. I have to move on from the past. Do what I need to do to make amends if need be, but let it go. I cannot worry about tomorrow....it hasn't happened and therefore does not exist. I try to really practice staying right here in the moment, being grateful for that moment, and doing the right thing in the moment. Try to let the world happen without judgement. It takes LOTS of practice (in the form of being mindful ) but it does work. It helps me accept my situation that I can never drink again, in this moment. Its not a painful white knuckling thing, it just is. I find when I observe my feelings as opposed to attaching to them and judging them they move on and change more quickly....as opposed to obsessing on them (which I do tend to do) and have circular mental conversations with myself.
You can do this!