Notices

I want this to be day one

Old 11-05-2015, 11:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want this to be day one

Hello folks, I'm new here and a bit nervous. I've been to see my doc and have been honest with her, and I had a first session with a counsellor last weekend another arranged for tomorrow.

I have only managed 2 days when I really cut down to a couple of glasses, last night I drank 2 bottles of wine. I hate myself I really do.

I'm planning on going cold turkey today, which is easy to say at 8 in the morning. I will be around here on and off all day and grateful for any support.

I am also trying mindfulness meditation, has anyone used that in their recovery?

I look forward to getting to know people and hopefully can give support back.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sheila youl find so much support here I like mindfulness have you read Wherever you go there you are by Jon Kabat Zinn that was a good read
Old 11-06-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sheila! I'm glad you found us here.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sheila... Welcome...you will like it here!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for replies folks, it means a lot.

No I haven't read that JKZ book soberwolf but I do have his cd from his book about depression, haven't got the book anymore I lent it to someone and didn't get it back!

I'll look for the book you recommend right now.

Are most people on this forum from the U.S? I'm in the u.k

Last edited by Sheila66; 11-06-2015 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-06-2015, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sheila

we're from all around the world here - there's a lot of UK folks

D
Old 11-06-2015, 01:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I was just wondering about time differences, if there would be times when there's hardly anyone around for example
Old 11-06-2015, 01:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sheila66 View Post
Thanks Dee, I was just wondering about time differences, if there would be times when there's hardly anyone around for example
Hi Sheila,
I'm in the uk and it would be a pleasure to keep you company (albeit electronically) this evening.

I won't be heading out and I won't be drinking either.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tufty, thank you so much, that really means a lot.

I was just looking at what time the Friday night meeting is but I think it's 2am our time, but you never know i might still be awake!

I'm already feeling supported by this forum, thanks everyone
Old 11-06-2015, 01:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is probably the least busiest time - and as you can see it's still pretty lively

D
Old 11-06-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The moral support here is fantastic. I find it helps just to know I'm not a freak or weird or alone in all this.

Get some nice healthy non alcoholic drinks ready for 6pm and every time you take a sip, think about how much good you're doing to your body rather than how much harm. And then before you know it you'll start to like yourself rather than the opposite. See every sip of a non alcoholic drink as a soothing, loving stroke or a hug for yourself?

I've done the self loathing thing for so long. It's exhausting, I'm giving myself a bit more love these days and that's easier if I don't drink.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are so right, the self loathing just keeps us stuck in the cycle, it's an evil beast alcohol is. I will take your advice, I have some delicious elderflower cordial, I'm going to make a large jug, fill with ice and slices of lemon.

Thanks Tufty, I'll get some housework done and look in later

And yes Dee I see what you mean
Old 11-06-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My therapist just had me download the book "mindfulness - finding peace in a frantic world" - I hope it helps. My issue is falling asleep at night. Glad you found this site. I've been using it a lot since my day one on Jan 1st..
Old 11-06-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

On my way, thank you for this, that is so weird I have just got the book and am looking at the 8 week programme.

I use booze to get to sleep and it's bad news.

Good luck with it
Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome sheila66. Sounds like you got a great start.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi Sheila
Hopefully when you talked with your dr. she gave you a script to help with the withdrawal. If not don't hesitate to talk with her again and get some assistance.

Yes I use mindfulness pretty much constantly. I have been quitting for 12 years and have made it up to two years....couple of 14 months....lots of six months I have tried many different approaches. The concept of staying in the moment is the only thing that works for me....I think. Not just to ride out urges (that is when I actually incorporate the meditation and deep breathing) but to handle the feelings of guilt and toxic shame. I have to move on from the past. Do what I need to do to make amends if need be, but let it go. I cannot worry about tomorrow....it hasn't happened and therefore does not exist. I try to really practice staying right here in the moment, being grateful for that moment, and doing the right thing in the moment. Try to let the world happen without judgement. It takes LOTS of practice (in the form of being mindful ) but it does work. It helps me accept my situation that I can never drink again, in this moment. Its not a painful white knuckling thing, it just is. I find when I observe my feelings as opposed to attaching to them and judging them they move on and change more quickly....as opposed to obsessing on them (which I do tend to do) and have circular mental conversations with myself.
You can do this!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Sheila!

This place is great, you will find lot of support here! I am almost in the same time zone as you and I wouldn't worry about that, there are always people around if you need support.

Sounds good that you have meetings scheduled with a counsellor, you seem very motivated to quit!
Old 11-06-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for support. I am very interested in the mindfulness info, there is a new course starting near me in January and I think I will sign up.

I'll be back later to look around here some more. It's great knowing that I'm not alone

Last edited by Sheila66; 11-06-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

So glad you found us there is also guided mindfulness meditations on YouTube
Old 11-06-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks soberwolf, I'll,look them up