View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
thomas11

[QUOTE=Fly N Buy;4810521]Had a long time drinking buddy tell me this a couple weeks ago when he learned I am on the path of sobriety.

My friend has a very large stomach, perhaps something distended - just got his first DUI and drinks whiskey daily.

I replied - wish I could, but I can't. Others are more fortunate.

This really hit home with me about the denial I had been in for many, many years. There is little doubt this affable, comforting gent will probably never admit to his issues. It is sad to kind of see the writing on the wall of where this friendship is headed. Of course I will stay in touch with texts and still be available to him if he ever WANTS help, but it's tough releasing those folks from our sandbox of buddies.

I know my sobriety and life depends on this however and will jealously guard it all costs!!!

How have ya'll dealt with losing those closest friends when sobriety becomes the main goal in your lives???

Thanks,[/QUOTE

I always drank alone so I did not lose any drinking buddies, but I will share what I can. When I was younger I was part of an extremely tight knit group of guys, we partied together, but we also did a lot of stuff we should not have been doing, thus the reason we were so tight knit. When I got out of it, I had to cut them off and it was not easy. I lived a solitary life for 3 years before I came out of my cave to re-engage the world. But it was worth every day. Very hard, but worth it. I hope you find the same.