View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
IamMeursault2me

Is reconcilliation possible?

Hi. I'm new to this site and to recovery. I'm a 25 year drunk but I'm 5 months sober. I don't think I've gone 5 months without a drink, literally since I first got drunk. I have a question for the group. I've been reading lots of threads on here and I hear very similar stories to mine over and over again, which is this.... I stopped drinking but now my wife cannot forgive me, she feels like I'll slip up and start again and she's scared to open herself up. We are cordial to each other but not loving. I can't kiss her, not even a peck on the cheek, which breaks my heart but then I think how many times I must have crushed hers with my drinking. I'm a functioning AH, have a great job, make good $, involved with the kids, mow the lawn, you get the idea. I'm not in debt and I'm not in legal trouble although I have had my run-ins in the past. by all accounts, friends and family think I'm a great guy, role model dad.
Here's my question. Will my wife ever forgive me or is it over? We "celebrated" 20 years together last week and it was the saddest day of my life.
Has anyone reconciled with their spouse to go on an have a loving / caring relationship? or am I kidding myself? I know it takes time but I have not seen or heard anyone who's done it, please let me know you're out there. If I have to move on, I will but I really love my wife and I'm committed to sobriety in ways I never thought possible.