View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 08:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Roxyblues

It is really more of a shift in thinking. The third step to me is a means to turn the volume down on that negative feedback loop or committee meeting going on in my head that is fed by fear. Fear I am going to lose something or fear I am not going to get something that I think I need to make me happy. This self centered fear causes me to manipulate or attempt to control people and situations. When I react out of fear to try and get my way, I generally step on the toes of others and make the situation much worse. I also live in a state or turmoil or unease. I drank and took drugs to ease that turmoil or state of unease.

When bothered by a situation such as fear of losing a job or a spouse, I pray:

God if it is your will for me to lose that job, and that is not what I want, let me be okay with that and let me know that you will take care of me.

First off, my fear of losing my job can be completely random or irrational. Even if there is a valid basis or concern, the prayer is meant to keep me from living in a state of fear and potentially causing more damage to situation. 99 times out of 100, the fear is irrational, but trusting God to take care of you and lead you in the direction you need to go helps calm the mind, vastly improves quality of life, keeps me from causing more harm or from drinking to suppress the fear.

Turning will over typically does nothing more than calm my mind and keep me from mucking things up which I do when driven by and reacting out of fear.