Old 10-13-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

Rehab saved me. I got sober on my own about 3 years ago, and stayed that way for eight months. But then I relapsed, and although I kept quitting... I think at least 7 times but possibly as many as 12... I couldn't stay quit. My health was suffering terribly, I was messier than I'd ever been in the past, and my work and my relationships were falling apart.

I ended up going to detox and then to rehab.

It was hard. The days were long. There were parts of it I hated, like going to an AA meeting every night, or sometimes they'd make us watch documentaries about addiction that just really freaked me out.

The social dynamic was hard, too. A whole bunch of people in the first few weeks of recovery makes for a lot of ups and downs. Everyone's emotions are really raw, everyone's worrying about their family and loved ones and place of employment and various messes outside, and of course everyone's confronting their demons all day every day. I never had any problems with anyone, but there were a lot of arguments and such amongst other people there.

But here's the thing: it saved me, both despite of and because of how hard it was. I cried harder there than I think I've ever cried (sober that is) in my life. There were times that I felt like I wasn't getting anything out of it. If it weren't for knowing how badly it would upset my family, I probably would have left sometime in the first week. But I got so much stronger there. I learned how to deal with loneliness, one of my triggers for drinking, sober. I learned how to sit through discomfort, frustration, even anger, sober. I learned how to work really hard on my sobriety, harder than I thought I needed to. I went from wanting to quit to being absolutely determined to stay sober. And for the first time in my life I spent lots of time talking to other people who were in exactly the same position I was in. I learned the value of friendships with other alcoholics and addicts.

You are making the right decision. Be ready for it to be hard, and when it gets hard, I hope you'll think back on this post. The staff there kept telling me, when I was frustrated, that that was part of the process. And I thought they were full of it. But they were totally right. I left the program 2 months ago and in that time I've not once seriously considered getting a drink. That alone feels like a total miracle.

Good luck. I think this can really be the jump start you need.